On 16 June 2015 the Australian Government announced the introduction of a simplified international student visa framework (SSVF).
Key changes under the SSVF are:
- a reduction in the number of student visa sub-classes from eight to two (student and guardian); and
- the introduction of a simplified single immigration risk framework for all international students, replacing the existing Streamlined Visa Processing (SVP) arrangements and the Assessment Level framework.
Effect of the changes:
- Student visas can be lodged online using immiAccount (Free to Create at www.border.gov.au) whether onshore or Offshore.
- An application to join a spouse or a family member who is already in Australia can be lodged online.
- Documentary requirements will be based on the country of origin and the Institution where the student will apply to study. Checklist can be found on the DIBP website.
What will remain the same?
- Student visa applicants will continue to be assessed against the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) criteria;
- The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (the Department) will still have the ability to request additional evidence from applicants at their discretion;
- The University will still need to manage its immigration risk by GTE assessing high risk applicants and requiring our education agents to vet applicants they recruit to the University; and
- The Post Study Work Visa (PSWV) will not be affected by the new SSVF.
SSVF will be implemented from 1 July 2016.
For more details about #SSVF, please feel free to contact us at info@oasiseducation or fill the details on our website.
Our contact details in Australia:
Tel: +61 2 8386 5350 or Viber: +61 434 251 583
Level 8, 309 Pitt Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Credit: UniSA and www.immi.gov.au